If you have a commercial restoration project in the Greater Lehigh Valley or nearby areas, reach out to R. J. DOERR COMPANY. We restore historic buildings and turn them into great retail and office spaces.
The Strand, a significantly altered (c. 1830) downtown commercial building located in the Easton Historic District, was renewed with a facade restoration and period storefront reconstruction performed by R. J. DOERR COMPANY. Based upon architectural drawings prepared by Archive, Ltd, the final scope of work, including the selection of period architectural details for replication, was developed by R. J. DOERR COMPANY staff in conjunction with the property owner.
Work included masonry and wood restoration, shutter replacement, storefront, and signboard construction and finishes. The project was funded in part with historic preservation/facade program grants made available through the City’s Redevelopment Authority.
Constructed in 1857 as the headquarters of Phoenix Hose Company, this complex of three buildings, located in the Easton Historic District, stood vacant for more than 20 years. Consisting of the Engine House (219 Ferry St), the Stable (217 Ferry St), and the Watch Captain’s House (44 South Sitgreaves St), together this group represents the Lehigh Valley’s oldest surviving fire company.
These historic resources were slated for demolition, but they were saved, restored, and renovated by R. J. DOERR COMPANY with the support of state and local entities. Archive Ltd., Architects of Easton, and the Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office worked together to develop a program for restoration and rehabilitation in accordance with the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for Rehabilitation.
Great effort was taken to retain the properties’ historic features. The building rehabilitation consisted of a complete interior and exterior overhaul of the long derelict structure. Mechanical and electrical systems were completely replaced, while structural components were repaired or replaced as required. The interiors were returned to productive use as retail and office spaces, in full compliance with modern life and safety code requirements. With functional interiors and reconstituted historic facades, the structures were reintroduced to the Easton community with a fresh identity and are now a component of an increasingly vibrant urban core.